Saturday, March 15, 2008

Online Productivity tools


As I was instructed, I visited the following Web2.0 sites. Now, I am very exhausted because this section was too much for me. But, I am required to write comment before I move on. So, here I am.


Collaborative mind mapping: Mindmeister & Mind42
Note sharing: NoteMesh
Organizational tool: Backpackit
Project Management: Basecamp & Project2Manage
Web-based word processor & spreadsheet: Google Docs

At the beginning, I was discouraged by the quantity: 7 sites. I said, "What!? Why so many!?" But, I put kept my head up and challenged it.

When I visited Mindmeister and Mind42, I thought I was mentally challenged. I registered as a user, and I wanted to start. But, I even could not figure out how to start. Instead, I said, "What the heck is that?!" My mind got very confused. I am sorry, I still did not get it. It was too much for a dog brain. I am not sure how the library can utilized these two sites.

NoteMesh sounds good. Unfortunately, NoteMesh was experiencing unexpected downtime when I visited. But, I read the brief description. I am sure that students can make use of it.

Backpackit, Basecamp, and Project2Manage are specialized tools for organization and management. I may recommend them to my boss in Washington, D.C. Do the librarians want to offer specialized BI sessions for managers on the campus to introduce these sites? That will be fun!

Google Docs is pretty cool. I like it because it seems easier than other web2.0 and clean.

I figured that these are all somewhat like Wikis. I believe this is the direction we are heading. The idea that more than one person will write a Web page is good. That will save a tremendous amount of everybody's time. That is for sure! Instead of sending revisions after revisions through e-mail, just keep one web site and revise it! This will avoid confusion and people will see the most updated information at the same time. This YouTube site, Google docs in plain English, helped me to understand. Now, I have a better picture of web2.0 and Wikis.

The key is who will be the moderator. Umm~! I may have a new position because I am a professional watch dog!

Also, the contributors who write articles need to sign there names on the contract paper and should be required to give their thumb print with their blood as an oath to not write any fake information. In my case, I am not too good at signing my name, so I will just use my paw print.

Good luck!

By the way, does anyone want my carrot sticks? I am always ready to share with you.

No comments: