Sunday, March 16, 2008

Social networking and libraries


Oh, boy! Internet technology has changed the life styles of so many people. That certainly is impressive.

The speed and simultaneousness that the Internet can provide is unbeatable. I agreed that is what most people want. Social networking electronically is possible on the Internet. So, many people and organizations start using it. I admit I am little behind.

I used to enjoy reading "Letters to the editor" or "Looking for pen pals" in the newspapers and weekly or monthly magazines. It was fun to know other people's thoughts and wanting to meet new friends. Also, that was the one of the motivations to read the next issue, although I needed to wait one week or month. Now, the world spins too fast, people can not wait that long anymore.

The Internet solved that problem. Everything is real time. Social networking is already happening whether you like it or not. It is your choice to join or not. Many are already participating. I think that is because they are not only natural computer users but also they really want to be connected to other people or groups, or they can get high by simply exposing themselves to the world. Whatever the reason, social networking is already expanding. I am sure that the younger generations appreciate it. "Thanks God for the Internet!"

I visited all the library sites from the FC 23 things list. I think they are doing nice job. FaceBook is much more clean than MySpace. The letter fonts on MySpace are too small and the display is too crummy. Well, I think FC Library can have both MySpace and FaceBook. Why not?

I am sure that many people will trust libraries as blog owners, so I can see more people joining as a "friend" and opening their page through the library blog. I guess in order to maintain a blog and providing virtual social networking, the library needs to keep the trust of the users. Therefore, it is important to maintain a clean site.

I have to come up with my new virtual name soon because I want to hide my identity.
Too bad, I can not be Jack at the FC MySpace.

No comments: