Saturday, February 9, 2008

Web 2.0 or Library 2.0

My assignment is that I need to blog my thoughts about the two concepts of Web 2.0 and Library 2.0. How can I see libraries using web 2.0 or library 2.0?

Humm...
I take it Web 2.0 vs. Library 2.0 is a serious matter for humans.
As a undercover dog, I can not overlook this technological advancement.
By evaluating how humans act toward innovations in the World Wide Web, I may contribute to the its future development, and this might be a serious report to my boss in Washington, D. C.

Here I am, eating a bunch of carrot sticks, and reading about Web 2.0.
Then, I got it!
Technologically, Web 2.0 is an enhanced version of World Wide Web.
Web 2.0 is not just read only, but it is writeable. The users or viewers can actually write their comments on the Web-site. You can see this feature in some product reviews, such as at Amazon.com, or movie reviews at Yahoo Movie. So, the free information on the Internet is not just read only. Now, everyone can write their thoughts. Supposedly, people help each other by providing or exchanging their thoughts or information. The key concept here, for humans, is social-networking.

At the Yahoo Movie review, I just posted how great Angelina Jolie was in the movie Beowulf.
Oh, she is my Goddess.
Wow! This capability was supported by Web 2.0 technology.
All right! COOL!

So, I was doing Social-networking with humans. Usually I do that with a frisbee!
I am going to report this interesting behavioral pattern of humans -- they want to talk, and talk, and more talk, and now they can talk all day on the Internet.

I guess most people are lonely. They need someone to talk to or want to be connected to some social group. In a way, how sad it is. But, may be this is a good thing. So, people don't need to feel lonely so much. Yeah!!!

Library 2.0 is basically the same as Web 2.0 technologically. However, Library 2.0 is created specifically for library functions. The library administrators always want to hear users' voices. They are always concerned with meeting users' needs and want to know what users want. I guess this is the way to do it. The article from Library Journal, 9-1-2006, by Michael E. Casey and Laura C. Savastinuk, says this is "Customer-driven service opportunity."

But, are we ready to do this? Sure, we are.
Well, I think we don't have much choices, though. Because, the technology is here already.
We don't want to be left behind, do we? I don't.
Let's hear what patrons think about the library. Do they like us or do they hate us?
Sorry, humans. Now, you will suffer from the Library 2.0 created by one of your brilliant human friends. Take it, eat it, and cope with it.

By the way, I will be terribly sorry for whoever becomes a moderator.
It is going to be a notoriously huge job.

Well,...
I will go out and just sniff around and investigating what people really want.

So long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

like your definition of web 2.0 (read/write web). it sounds as though you feel social networking fills the needs that lonely people have... do you see any other, perhaps more useful, applications of user-generated sites that may benefit the library and its services?

Jack Russell said...

Yes, of course.
I can see that the library can receive enormous amount of benefit by doing social networking, may be, more than we want.

However, between the library and patron, we need establish some kind of feedback system to each other.

It will be beneficial for the library to listen to patrons' opinions, ideas, or preferences.
In order to run the library as a business, we need to have good customer support. So adding a social networking feature to the library web site would help.

Also, participants can learn from each other. Basically, we are chipping in our knowledge to the web-site as a contribution, and sharing knowledge.
This is the great thing about social networking.

Sharing what you know is a great thing!